As a registered charity, the Progress Educational Trust (PET) depends for its survival upon public donations. And the best way to make a donation is to become a Friend of PET. This allows PET to plan activities in advance and helps ensure that PET's objectives are met in the most efficient and cost-effective way possible - through public events, policy work, educational initiatives, print publications and PET's flagship publication BioNews.
Here's how support from Friends of PET has helped in the past:
- PET has assisted patients whose frozen embryos were to be mandatorily destroyed, because they fell between the requirements of an outgoing regulatory framework and an incoming regulatory framework for embryo storage. The charity helped bring about a change in the law that allowed these patients to continue to store their embryos.
- PET has assisted the deaf community in relation to a legal prohibition on the selection of embryos affected by disability. The charity brokered discussions between deaf interest groups and the relevant government authorities, and organised an event for a mixed deaf/hearing audience where the issue was clarified and debated.
- PET has assisted women whose daughters have Turner Syndrome, who need the option of intergenerational egg donation in order to give their daughters the future option of conceiving children of their own. The charity issued briefings supporting the passage of relevant embryo storage regulations.
In return, Friends of PET receive a number of benefits:
- a discount on attendance at all PET events (for up to five staff members, in the case of Corporate Friends);
- a quarterly Friends of PET newsletter, Progress Report;
- access to a network of key individuals in the fields of genetics, assisted conception and embryo/stem cell research;
- access to other exclusive events;
- copies of all PET publications free of charge.
To become an Individual Friend of PET costs a minimum of £3 a month, although £5 or £10 a month from those who can afford it is greatly appreciated. Becoming an Individual Friend of PET is easy - just complete this form (.pdf 417KB) and post it to 'Friends of PET, Progress Educational Trust, 140 Gray's Inn Road, London WC1X 8AX'. Alternatively, you can join via PayPal by clicking on the first Subscribe button below.
To make your organisation a Corporate Friend of PET costs a minimum of £10 a month for NHS or charitable organisations, and a minimum of £20 a month for all other organisations. Becoming a Corporate Friend of PET is easy - just complete this form (.pdf 418KB) and post it to 'Friends of PET, Progress Educational Trust, 140 Gray's Inn Road, London WC1X 8AX'.
Alternatively, you can join via PayPal by clicking on the second Subscribe button below.
Thank you for your greatly valued support.
- Become an Individual Friend of PET
- Become a Corporate Friend of PET