UK doctors are expected to receive permission to help a couple avoid passing on a hereditary condition that causes very high blood cholesterol to their children, according to the Times. The newspaper reports that a team lead by Paul Serhal, of University College London, will be granted a licence by the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority (HFEA) this week. This will enable them to use PGD to select embryos free from the gene mutation that causes both the mild and severe forms of familial hypercholesterolaemia (FH).
One in 500 people in the UK has inherited the mild form of FH, although many of those with the condition are thought to remain undiagnosed. The condition can increase the risk of a heart attack in men under fifty by ten-fold. However, if treated through diet, exercise, lifestyle changes and - in some cases - with statin drugs, this risk can be drastically reduced. FH also increases the risk of strokes and blood vessel failure, which can lead to limb amputations.
In contrast to the mild form of the condition, which affects people who inherit just one copy of the faulty gene, there is also a severe form of FH that affects children who inherit a 'double dose' of the mutation. This 'homozygous' form of the disease leads to very high levels of cholesterol from the age of around five, and can often cause death in childhood. Unlike the mild form, it does not always respond well to treatment with statins or other drugs.
The couple seeking treatment at UCL both have mild FH, which they discovered only after having a daughter with the homozygous, severe form of the disease. There is a 25 per cent risk that any subsequent child will also inherit the severe form of FH, who, unlike their first child, may not respond well to treatment. There is also a 50 per cent chance that they will pass on the mild form of the condition to their next and subsequent child, and a 25 per cent chance that each will be unaffected.
PGD involves taking a single cell from a 2-4 day old IVF embryo, performing a genetic or chromosome test on that cell, and then returning one or two unaffected embryos to the womb. In the UK, the use of PGD is regulated by the HFEA, which licenses the procedure on a case-by-case basis. The couple approached Mr Serhal after learning that his clinic offered PGD for hereditary breast cancer.
If the procedure is successful, then the couple will be able to select one or more unaffected embryos to implant. However, if there are no unaffected embryos, then the couple will have to decide whether or not to select embryos that have the milder form of FH. Mr Serhal told the Times: 'This obnoxious disease can cause cardiovascular accidents at a very young age. Ideally, we will find embryos with no FH genes, but it is possible we will not and it will be up to the patients to choose. Some people would think twice about using embryos that they know have a risky gene, and others would say you shouldn't screen out a condition that can be managed so people can live with it. It will be an awkward choice'.
Sources and References
Designer baby fear over heart gene test